Ready to make an appointment?
Find a location near you to get started today with Home Care
LasNC Dental Home Care for Our Patient’s Teeth & More
Home Care is essential for keeping a healthy smile. If you would like a healthy smile, the team at Carolina Dental Arts is here to help you achieve this. Alongside our general dentistry treatments, one of the most important ways to accomplish this is dental home care in Raleigh, Goldsboro and throughout North Carolina. Eating balanced meals and reducing unhealthy snacks is one way to help promote a healthy smile. Also, correctly using dental tools helps control the plaque and bacteria that cause dental disease. Below, we have listed a few dental care tips that you can use at home.
How to Properly Brush Your Teeth
Brushing your teeth is an effective way to attain home care oral health. Our dentists recommend using an ADA-approved soft bristle brush and toothpaste to brush at least twice a day, especially before bedtime. We have provided these easy steps for how to brush your teeth in NC:
- First, place the brush at a 45-degree angle at the gums and gently brush in a small, circular motion. Make sure that you always feel the bristles on the gums.
- Brush the outer, inner and biting surfaces of each tooth. Also, use the tip of the brush to clean the inside of your front teeth.
- Lastly, brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath.
Electric toothbrushes are also beneficial when it comes to home care, as they are easy to use and thoroughly remove plaque. Simply place the bristles on your gum and allow the brush to clean your teeth.
How to Floss Your Teeth
Flossing your teeth is an important part of Home Care that is oftentimes overlooked. Clean between your teeth and under your gumline by flossing every day. This not only helps clean the spaces, but it disrupts plaque colonies from building up and damaging the gums, teeth, and bone. Here is how our NC patients can floss their teeth:
- Take 12 to 16 inches of dental floss and wrap it around your first fingers and hold in place with your thumbs, leaving about 2 inches of floss between your hands.
- Use your thumbs and forefingers to guide the floss as you insert in between the teeth using a sawing motion.
- Curve the floss into a “C” shape around each tooth and under the gumline. Also, gently move the floss up and down, as this cleans the side of each tooth. This is a great home care regimen.
If you have trouble using conventional floss, try floss holders for easy cleaning.
Rinsing Your Mouth for Dental Care at Home
After brushing and flossing, and after a meal if you can’t brush, rinse your mouth out with water. Consult with your dentist or dental hygienist to see if using an over-the-counter mouth rinse or other dental hygiene tools, such as interdental brushes, rubber tip stimulators, tongue cleaners, irrigation devices, fluoride or medicated rinses, is right for you.
The team at Carolina Dental Arts would be happy to help you create a dental hygiene routine that aids you in your success toward at-home dental care in NC. Talk with us at your next appointment or contact us today with your questions.